Sydney Arnold PRESS
- Born: 6 Jan 1919, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
- Marriage (1): Victoria LURIA on 27 Dec 1952 in New York, New York, USA
- Died: 28 May 1997, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa aged 78
- Crem.: 2 Jun 1997, Braamfontein Crematorium, Johannesburg
Noted events in his life were:
• Career: Edgars. Edgars was founded as a small retail shop on Johannesburg's Joubert Street in 1929--just as the world's economy slumped into the Depression era. The Edgars store held on, however, and in 1935 began its long climb to the top of South Africa's retail market. In that year the store moved its premises to Cape Town. The year 1935 also marked the entry of Sydney Press into the company. Sydney Press joined the company as a Christmas casual. He gave up his scholarship to UCT to 'get onto the Edgars flypaper' and never looked back, opening the Eloff Street store in 1937 and gradually expanding along the Reef and then around the country . Yet Press, and other members of his family, quickly became the driving force behind the Edgars chain.
Sydney married Victoria LURIA, daughter of David Phillip LURIA and Rose KINGAN, on 27 Dec 1952 in New York, New York, USA. The marriage ended in divorce in 1984. (Victoria LURIA was born on 16 Feb 1927 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA, died on 7 Apr 2015 in Italy and was buried in San Michele Isle, Venice..)